Skip to main content
What can I request?
- Books, Blu-Rays, DVDs, CDs, scores, journal and magazine articles, book chapters, etc.
- Items owned by DWU that are currently checked out or on reserve (if you need it for a longer period).
Make sure to check McGovern Library's library catalog to see if we already own the item.
How does does it take to receive ILLs?
||Average Time to Receive Request
|ILL book or other physical item
||2 - 10 days*
||hours to 2 days
*Some items may take longer to receive based on the location of the lending library and/or availability of the item.
Is there a charge for interlibrary loans?
- McGovern Library does not charge for this service. We always attempt to borrow materials from other libraries that do not charge.
- In some cases the item requested may be located only at large, research university libraries that charge for ILLs. In instances where the item is held only by libraries that charge we pass on the lending library's fee to the borrower. We always ask you if you're willing to pay the fee before we submit the request to the lending library. If you are unwilling to pay the lending library's fee we will gladly help you locate other sources to use.
What about overdue fines or fees for unreturned, damages, or lost materials?
- McGovern Library does charge overdue fines for ILL materials returned late. The reason is because the ILL item belongs to another library, and we are responsible for returning it on time.
- If you lose or somehow damage your interlibrary loan item the lending library will determine the replacement fee. Such fees often include some type of processing fee for the inconvenience of the lending library having to purchase and process a replacement copy.
Who can use the library's ILL service?
- Currently enrolled DWU students, DWU employees, and faculty emeriti.
Are there any materials that are difficult to borrow?
We may not be able to obtain the following:
- Reference books
- Archival materials
- Rare items
- Entire periodical issues
How long can I have my ILLs?
- Loan periods depend entirely on the lending library. ILL loan periods can be as short as two weeks and as long as three months. Items can be recalled at anytime prior to the due date by the lending library.
My book was recalled. What does that mean?
- Recalls occur when items we borrow are needed back at the lending library prior to the due date.
- If you receive a recall notification you must return it immediately to McGovern Library.
- You may submit another request for the same item. We will try to obtain another copy for you from another library.
How will I know when my ILL item is due?
- Your ILL item will have a printed slip inserted in it that contains the citation and lending information. The slip will have the due date written on it.
- You will receive an automated email a few days before your item is due informing you of your upcoming due date.
- If your ILL item is overdue you will receive an overdue notice via email.
I am not finished with my ILL book. Can I request a renewal?
- You may request a renewal for you ILL item. Please send an email to email@example.com with your renewal request.
© 2016 McGovern Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
Contact us: McGovern Library | Ph. 605.995.2618 | Fax 605.995.2893 | 1201 McGovern Avenue, Mitchell, SD 57301