Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- McGovern Library has thousands of streaming films available for use in your courses.
- Films On Demand provides a permanent URL for each film.
- If you have questions about linking to Films On Demand or YouTube, or more advanced topics
like creating & linking to playlists, please contact Alexis Becker for assistance.
Linking to Films On Demand Films
Linking to Films on Demand films
You can embed films from Films on Demand directly within Canvas. This works easier if you first search for a film from within the FOD database to find film you want to use. Follow these steps to embed the video into your Canvas course. (For best results, please use Chrome, the Canvas-approved browser.)
- Search the Films on Demand database to find the title of the film you wish to use. (This way you will know the exact title to search when using the embed tool in Canvas.)
- Within Canvas open the rich text editor in a piece of Canvas content (e.g. a Page or an Assignment).
- Click the blue "V" icon in the menu bar to open the submenu to select the database.
- Select Films On Demand, then use the search box to locate it.
- Click the embed link of the film or segment you want to add.
- Save and publish your content.
If you have any questions contact Alexis Becker at 605-995-2617 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to contracts and licensing, DWU must limit off-campus access of databases to current faculty, staff, and students. Off-campus users must verify (or “authenticate”) themselves as part of the DWU community. When accessing a library resources from off-campus users will first be prompted to sign in through the DWU authentication (i.e., proxy) server. Films On Demand appends our proxy server address to the permanent URL for each film, so all you have to do is copy the Title URL and insert this link into your Canvas course.
© 2016 McGovern Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
Contact us: McGovern Library | Ph. 605.995.2618 | Fax 605.995.2893 | 1200 W. University Ave, Mitchell, SD 57301