Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Happy Fall, Y'All!
Autumn is here, the weather is cooling off, and the semester is in full swing.
Explore this guide and check a few things off your Autumn Bucket List.
Autumn Bucket List
Click on a list item for more information!
DWU Theatre's Haunted House
DWU's Black Box Theatre in the
Dakota Discovery Museum
Thursday, October 28 @ 7:00 pm
Friday, October 29 @ 7:00 pm
Saturday, October 30 @ 7:00 pm
Sunday, October 30 @ 7:00 pm
Click Here for More Information
Did you know that the McGovern Library has board games, cards, and puzzles?
Grab a game and set it up in the library today!
Monopoly & Clue
Chess & Checkers
Scrabble & Bananagrams
Uno & Playing Cards
& So Many Puzzles!
All games & puzzles are In-Library Use Only.
Must See Halloween Films & TV
How Many Have You Seen?
- Nosferatu (1922)
- Carrie (1976)
- Halloween (1978)
- The Shining (1980)
- Poltergeist (1982)
- Ghostbusters (1984)
- Child's Play (1988)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- The Addams Family (1991)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
- The Craft (1996)
- Scream (1996)
- The Sixth Sense (1999)
- Scooby-Doo (2002)
- Saw (2004)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
- Cloverfield (2008)
- Zombieland (2009)
- Hotel Transylvania (2012)
- American Horror Story: Coven (2014)
- Annabelle (2014)
- Scream Queens (2015)
- Stranger Things (2016)
- Get Out (2017)
- It (2017)
- Bird Box (2018)
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018)
- The Haunting of Hill House (2018)
- Into the Dark (2018)
- A Quiet Place (2018)
- Little Monsters (2019)
- The Twilight Zone (2019)
- Lovecraft Country (2020)
- Unsolved Mysteries (2020)
Is it really fall if you haven't carved a pumpkin?
Check out these tips, tricks, and ideas for carving the perfect pumpkin this autumn.
Make the Perfect Caramel Apple
Food Blog "Insanely Good" dives into 13 of the Best Caramel Apple Toppings! Explore some of the toppings below.
- Chocolate Drizzle
- It might be basic, but it's a classic for a reason!
- Chocolate Chips & Marshmallows
- Create a s'mores flavored caramel apple by adding these two delicious flavors on top of your caramel dip.
- Chopped Pistachios & White Chocolate
- Dive in and get fancy with this combination!
- Crushed Oreos
- Who doesn't love a good Oreo? Crush some up and sprinkle liberally.
- Shredded Coconut
- Add in a tropical flare (with less sugar) by adding in shredded coconut.
- Popcorn & M&Ms
- Make a movie night out of your caramel apple by adding in this classic pair.
- Crushed Pretzels
- A little bit sweet, a little bit salty. Make the perfect pairing with some pretzels and caramel.
- Crushed Butterfingers
- Now we're just crushing up everything! But it tastes so good.
- Pumpkin Spice & Cinnamon
- Happy Fall, Y'All! This topping is sure to make the perfect fall themed caramel apples.
- Gummy Bears
- Go full sweet tooth with this topping. And make it spooky by adding in Halloween themed gummies.
And get fancy with your caramel apples this year! Williams Sonoma's food blog
dives into making caramel apples from scratch.
How to Throw a Friendsgiving
So, what is a Friendsgiving? A Friendsgiving is a celebration of Thanksgiving dinner with your friends. While many people who can't travel for the holiday spend time with their friends celebrating Turkey Day, you don't have to have a Friendsgiving on or around Thanksgiving. You can throw this celebratory meal at any time.
Here are a few tips to make your Friendsgiving a success:
- Decide ahead of time who will be hosting and who will bring what food.
- Before you celebrate with friends, figure out where you'll be having the get-together and who will be bringing what. Are you planning out a meal? Having a potluck style dinner? Only serving dessert? Whatever your meal, you'll need to know who is in charge of what!
- Give yourself enough time to prepare.
- Don't rush the event or the prep time. There is nothing worse (or more stressful) than trying to put a party together last minute.
- Have games and other activities.
- No party is complete without a few games (and the cheesier the better!) Find Thanksgiving and autumn themes party games, try out a new (or classic) board game, or throw a Murder Mystery Friendsgiving. The sky is the limit.
- Don't forget to decorate.
- You can be as fancy or as casual as you like, but make sure to add in some decorations! Get some inexpensive (themed) paper plates and napkins, add table decorations, or even hang some streamers.
- Get creative!
- It's a party, so don't be a fuddy-duddy. Have fun with your creativity and don't be afraid to go all out with decorations, food ideas, and exciting events and activities.
Pumpkin Spice Lattes
Autumn means Pumpkin Spice flavored everything!
Check out the recipes below to make you own Pumpkin Spice Lattes (hot and iced).
© 2022 McGovern Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
Email: email@example.com | Phone: (605) 995-2618 | 1200 W. University Ave, Mitchell, SD 57301